You may have heard the term “wrinkle relaxer” before but aren’t quite sure what it means. Botox®, arguably the most well-known brand of wrinkle relaxer, has evolved over time and is now a popular way for both men and women to eliminate or reduce signs of aging. Although Botox® previously carried a heavy social stigma, more people are beginning to use wrinkle relaxers as a safe, minimally invasive way to feel and look younger.
What Are Wrinkle Relaxers and How Do They Work?
Wrinkle relaxers are often mistakenly compared to dermal fillers, which are used to restore volume and smooth wrinkles on the face. However, wrinkle relaxers are not the same as fillers. Wrinkle relaxers like Botox® are neurotoxins that temporarily freeze targeted muscles to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. They are made from pure, natural protein and are completely safe and FDA approved.
The name “relaxer” comes from their ability to stop muscles from moving. Frequent muscle movement caused by things like smiling or furrowing your brow can lead to crow’s feet and fine lines. Wrinkle relaxers target these muscles to prevent them from moving, effectively reducing signs of aging on the face.
Results from wrinkle relaxers are noticeable after 1-2 weeks, depending on the type you choose. You can expect your results to last anywhere from 3 to 6 months. At that point, most patients choose to schedule a follow-up treatment to “touch up” their results and maintain their youthful appearance.
What Areas Can Be Treated with Wrinkle Relaxers
Wrinkle relaxers can be used to treat a variety of areas, including:
- Forehead lines: Our faces are very expressive. When we speak, we often raise and lower our eyebrows, and this muscle movement causes lines to form on the forehead. Wrinkle relaxers can be injected into the forehead to reduce the appearance of fine lines and even deep forehead wrinkles.
- Frown Lines: A frown line is simply a facial wrinkle associated with frowning. If you’re unhappy with your frown lines, wrinkle relaxers are a great way to smooth out fine lines and achieve a more youthful look.
- Nose Bunny Lines: Nose bunny lines refer to the tiny creases that may form on or around the nose. They are particularly noticeable when squinting and may be a result of the way you smile or laugh.
- Dimpled Chin: A “cleft” or dimpled chin typically refers to a chin with a Y-shaped dimple in the middle. It is usually a genetic trait and is quite common. Wrinkle relaxers are a temporary treatment for a dimpled chin if you would like to smooth out its appearance.
- Crow’s Feet: Most people have heard of crow’s feet before – they’re those pesky little lines that form on the outside of your eyes. Crow’s feet tend to age the face. Wrinkle relaxers can be used to smooth the lines around your eyes and reverse visible signs of aging.
- Smile lines: Smile lines are often the result of years of natural face movements like smiling or general facial expressions. Wrinkle relaxers are commonly used to reduce or even eliminate the appearance of smile lines and even deep wrinkles around the mouth.
- Neck Lines: Your neck is one of the first areas to show signs of aging and make you look older than you actually are. Wrinkles relaxers are also FDA approved for use on the neck and are very effective at eliminating necklines.
Wrinkle Relaxers We Offer At South Florida Center Med Spa
Botox® is the most popular wrinkle relaxer, but there are several different types, each with its own advantages. At The South Florida Center Med Spa, we offer three types of wrinkle relaxers:
Botox® has been around longer than either of the other wrinkle relaxers we offer and is well-trusted as a result. Results from Botox® can be expected after about two weeks and last for 3-6 months.
Dysport® is similar to Botox®, however it is more diluted. Because of this, Dysport® can be used on larger areas, and there’s less chance of antibodies breaking it down because the proteins are more spread out. This means that Dysport® only takes about 7-10 days for results to show, rather than a full two weeks. Results from Dysport® last 3-6 months.
Xeomin® is the final wrinkle relaxer we offer. Like Botox® and Dysport®, it also lasts 3-6 months. However, Xeomin® doesn’t have protein additives, which eliminates antibody resistance. Results from Xeomin® take 7-14 days to show and also last 3-6 months.
Possible Side Effects
Side effects are possible with any cosmetic procedure. The most common side effects of wrinkle relaxer treatment include:
- Pain, swelling, and/or bruising around the injection area
- Crooked eyebrows or droopy eyelid(s)
- Crooked Smile/drooling
- Dry eyes/excessive tearing
- Dry mouth
- Respiratory tract infection
- Muscle weakness
Other Uses of Botox®
Although Botox® is typically used to reverse signs of aging by smoothing wrinkles and fine lines, it is also FDA approved to treat a variety of health conditions. Botox® can treat:
- Chronic migraines: Botox® injections have been shown to provide relief from chronic migraines. You can receive a series of Botox® injections in your head and neck for migraine prevention that lasts up to three months.
- Excessive underarm sweating: Botox® was approved to treat excessive sweating in appropriate patients in 2004. It can be injected directly to treat overly sweaty hands, feet, and armpits.
- Overactive bladder: Botox® is a very effective treatment for women with overactive bladders. Treatment with Botox® injections can reduce “leaks” throughout the day and relieve an overactive bladder.
- Lazy eye or crossed eyes: Lazy or crossed eyes affect about 4% of Americans. One of the earliest approvals for Botox® was for the treatment of lazy eyes.
- Severe neck spasms: Dystonia is a disorder characterized by abnormal head position and severe neck pain. Botox® is approved to treat this disorder and relieve painful neck spasms.
At The South Florida Center for Cosmetic Surgery Med Spa, we are proud of our competitive pricing and the Membership Program that grants access to “members only” discounts and promotions and special pricing on all treatments, including wrinkle relaxers. Check out our Membership Program today for the lowest prices we offer.